Yenen’s Tale Assets, Part 1


During my second foray into the college life, I decided to go for an Associate’s in Video Game Design (specifically for the artsy side of the process, rather than the technical parts, for now).  During these two years at BCTCS, I have learned how to create GDDs appropriately, construct 3D models using Maya, create textures for those models (using Photoshop and Maya), import assets and create small games with said assets within Unity, and learned overall about the new and old techniques it takes to make an efficient and unique video game.

During this last semester at BCTC – for my Game Production class – I am having to follow the lead of an amateur game designer through his Patreon, where he posts video tutorials on the creation of simple RPG assets and mechanics with a low-poly design.  For now, we have learned the basics of setting up a scene correctly (with fog effects, lighting effects, culling rates, etc.), pulling in assets (which he has generously given to his “students” for free, to help with the creation of one’s first RPG), and are now attempting to create error-free scripts that will give the game all of the nuances of an actual RPG (like stats, adventure, fighting enemies, etc.).

So what I am also doing, according to the classes’ curriculum, is having to replace almost everything in the “Simple RPG Test” scene that I’m creating alongside the videos, with assets and mechanics of my own making; that is where we come to the pictures above!  The scene, so far, is an area that comes off of a mountain path, leading into a certain mysterious forest.  So with that in mind, I wanted to replace the default flowers, ferns, bushes, and trees in the scene with what you see above.  The first picture being that of a “Fractal Flower” (where it’s leaves assists each other in the transportation of water to one another), the second picture showing a “Fractal Fern” (where thick vines sprout from the base of the plant, eventually encircling themselves, creating a braided effect), and the third picture being a “Fractal Tree;” damn, couldn’t keep up the alliteration!

These were my first attempt at purposely creating low-poly models, and I feel I have learned a lot on how to create something simple looking, yet impactful and true to the source material, in mind.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *